Postgraduate admissions at Laval University

To know more about the undergraduate/postgraduate programs at Laval University, consult this link (French/English). Briefly, MSc and PhD students should fulfill 48 and 96 credits hours. These credit hours involves research project related activities as well as 2 optional courses each of 3 credit hours. For more detailed information on the obligatory and non-obligatory courses of MSc and PhD programs, as well as our lab-specific recommended courses for these programs, click here to download the information PDF file.

Whatever is your future title in our lab (MSc, PhD), all postgraduate students need to register in the registrar’s office through this link. Registration follow these phases:

  1. Together with the Acceptance Letter of supervisor, you  should upload all requested documents and information.
  2. Pay the registration fees and submit your registration request.
  3. Your request will be examined by the director of the program you registered at (director of the postgraduate programs at the department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Bio-informatics).
  4. You will receive the decision of the director of the program by email.
  5. You will be asked if accept the offer.
  6. Once you accept the offer, you will receive a letter from the registrar’s office that you can use for requesting the CAQ (Certificate of Acceptance to Québec) and then issuing your VISA to Canada.

For International Interns (undergraduate or postgraduates), they need to fill this form and send it to the Registrar’s Office.

All tuition fees for all programs are explained in this link.

For international students, this link (in French, please translate with web translation function of Google) explains the special consideration of their tuition fees and the conditions for Exemption for surplus (supplemental) fees so that international students pay the same tuition fees as local students.
Given the last program is offered in Quotas per country, Laval University, has additionally a program for exemption of supplemental fees that international would pay. Click here to know more.

Your Laval University Card is also issued at the registrar’s office. It grants you many advantages. Click here to know how to get it.

CAQ (Certificate of acceptance of Québec) and Canadian VISA and Study Permit issuing procedures take time and require much preparation. Please, read carefully this link to study well and prepare for the process of immigration.

You don’t need to wait receipt of your CAQ to start applying for VISA to Canada. In fact, you can start applying for a Study Permit with only a Proof that you have started your CAQ Application. Click here to know how.

Whether you pay tax or are exempted from tax, you have to file a tax declaration on revenue every year. Click here to know more about the steps to follow.

Useful information for internationals

If you would like to join our lab for a short term research training experience (as short-term undergraduate, MSc, PhD or postdoctoral research intern), click here to get thorough information and know the detailed official procedures.

If you decide to join the lab for a short-term training, you will have to have the “Training or research internship agreement" (Click here for the English Version) OR “Convention de stage de formation ou de recherche" (Click here for the French Version) signed by both parties (your and our Universities). Otherwise, your university could have its own form to be signed for that purpose. If the latter is the case, use your university’s form.

For a complete explanation of all the steps you need to follow before and after your arrival please consult the following according to your case:

  1. For future undergraduate or postgraduate interns in our lab, consult this link (En) or this link (Fr).
  2. For future postdoctorals fellows in our lab, please click on this link (En) or this link (Fr).
  3. For future visiting professors and scientists in our lab, click on this link (En) or this link (Fr)

Be prepared for the entry requirements and official procedures. Visitors from some countries do require VISA whereas others do not and and electronic travel authorization (eTA) is just sufficient.

Click here (EN) or here (FR) to read more information.

Soon coming to join our lab from abroad? Welcome to Canada! Here is some useful information to you:

1- Ahead of your arrival, please read the information available in this link (French/English).
2- Upon your arrival to Canada, you need to know and to be prepared for some facts and procedures. Click on this link (French/English) to know more about them.
3- Moreover, click here to find information about the culture in Quebec and Canada that will help you integrate rapidly after your arrival.

Once you arrive to City of Quebec’s airport, you can take a taxi (Uber or standard Taxi) to get to the city.

You can also arrive to Montréal-YUL airport (which saves you some money) and reach to City of Quebec by terrestrial means (bus or railway).

In the city of Quebec, the available Public transportation means is by Buses which will get you to the university very easily and frequently. To know more about Bus transportations, click on this link.

In Canada there are federal and provincial taxes that are paid. Undergraduate and postgraduate (MSc and PhD) Students are exempted from both taxes. Postdoctoral students are exempted from provincial taxes only, yet they pay the federal taxes;  click here and here read more.